Laura Bickle Shares her Inspiration Behind her Chilling YA (1 copy up for grabs)!

Being I'm an avid reader and that one of my favorite genres is urban fantasy, I discovered Laura Bickle and her alter ego Alayna Williams long before I started writing fiction. I devoured her books, loved her writing.

So when Laura found me on Twitter, my first reaction was to gush like a rabid fan-girl. SQUEEEE!!!! She handled it/me most graciously.



 And then, I found out she had a scary YA release, THE HALLOWED ONES, and invited her to the blog...so I could introduce y'all to a fabulous writer and her new story. In Publishers Marketplace The Hallowed Ones is described as “Witness” meets “28 Days Later” in which an Amish girl must protect her family from a violent contagion, even as fear and denial threaten to erode her community from within.

Wow, original and cool. Check out the cover!



I'm giving away a Kindle edition of THE HALLOWED ONES to one lucky blog reader...but, you'll have to read to the bottom of the post to find out how to enter. :D

 Thanks for being here Laura! What inspired you to write an Amish YA? 

 Laura: I live not too far from a large Amish settlement. When I was a child, my parents would take me to visit, and I was fascinated by a world very different than the one I lived in. I’d see Amish girls my age over the fence and wonder what their lives were like.

 For THE HALLOWED ONES, I was thinking about doing a dystopian book. I was wondering who would be best-equipped to survive a large-scale disaster, and occurred to me that the Amish would be uniquely equipped to survive. They are incredibly self-sufficient and are not dependent upon things we take for granted in our world, things like electricity and cars.

As an adult, it was fun to go back there and see how my perceptions of that world changed and how they stayed the same.

So what's the story about?

Temptation happens to all of us, in large and small ways.

The heroine of THE HALLOWED ONES is Katie, a young woman who has grown up in a peaceful Amish settlement. She lives with her parents and sister in the house where she was born. Church services take place in members’ backyards. She knows every other person in the settlement and expects to marry the boy next door. Her home has been a safe nest, familiar and comforting.

Maybe just a bit too safe.

Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers are free to experience non-Amish culture before officially joining the Amish church. Katie has every intention of being baptized in her church and assuming her responsibilities as an adult Amish woman. She simply wants to see a bit of the world Outside before she makes her choice and commits to the Amish lifestyle forever. She looks forward to testing the rules -- going to the city to see movies, perhaps wearing jeans, experimenting with makeup.

 Before she can explore in earnest, Katie’s safe world starts to disintegrate. It begins with a fiery helicopter crash in the cornfields near her house, followed by rumors of violence and the disappearance of large numbers of people Outside. Unsure why they haven’t been attacked and fearing contamination, the Amish Elders make a rule: No one goes outside their community, and no one is allowed in.

When Katie finds a gravely injured young man lying just outside the boundary of Amish land, she refuses to leave him to die. She defies the Elders’ decree, secretly bringing the stranger in to her community and hiding him. But what else is she bringing in with him?

Author Bio: Laura Bickle’s professional background is in criminal justice and library science, and when she’s not patrolling the stacks at the public library she’s dreaming up stories about the monsters under the stairs (she also writes contemporary fantasy novels under the name Alayna Williams). Laura lives in Ohio with her husband and a herd of mostly-reformed feral cats. THE HALLOWED ONES is her first young adult novel. Get the latest updates on her work at www.laurabickle.com.

TO WIN LAURA'S BOOK: Share who is your favorite YA heroine and why in the comments section, and leave your email (so I can contact you if you win!).

Oh! Don't forget to check out my The #DjinnsDilemma Birthday Bash post for more fantabulous surPrizes!
Thanks for visiting!


18 comments:

  1. Hey, Rashda. Fun story about you being such a fan of Laura's before you started writing. Great looking blog. Laura, you've got an intriguing plot, and I love the book cover. Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! So good to see you Marsha...and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Marsha! And thank you, Rashda, for hosting me today! :-)

      Delete
  2. Favorite YA heroine: Tarina, in Victoria Handley's The Seer and the Sword
    Why: At the beginning of the book, Tarina is a young sheltered child. Through the course of the book as she grows older and matures, she learns every action has a consequence. The author explores the themes of cruelty and mercy, peace and warfare, aggression and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sound really interesting. Adding it to my TBR pile!

      Delete
    2. Ooooh...I'm going to have to add this one to my pile, too! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds really interesting and I want to read it soon! I have a couple of favorite YA characters but my most recent is named Jennifer and is from a book called Crazy Dangerous. Jennifer keeps having horrible hallucinations and no one will believe what she fears will take place soon. The thing is her hallucinations start to really happen.It's an interesting book because you aren't sure what is real and what is just part of Jennifer's illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds like an intriguing psych drama/horror...cool!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to check this one out, thanks! :-)

      Delete
  4. My favorite YA character is Isabel, in "Chains" by Laurie Halse Anderson. I'm a big fan of history and I love it when it comes baked deliciously into a compelling story like this one. She creates a powerful, moving tale of a strong 13 year old girl, held in slavery but determined to find freedom. Revolutionary wartime America, life in New York City in 1776, young women taking care of business with courage and fire --- it's an incredible read. I already loved Speak and Fever 1793 by LHA, when I found this one. Not disappointed, not one bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny - I tracked down Chains for a library patron this past week, and I remember thinking that it looked really good. Must be serendipity!

      Delete
  5. Oh, just one. I have to say Hermione from HP (though she starts as MG it definitely ends as YA). I love that she isn't ashamed of being smart and while she's usually right, she knows how to admit when she's wrong.

    SarahNegovetich(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Hermione! She's a great heroine for all those reasons!

      Delete
  6. Wow, The Hallowed Ones has such an intriguing premise! This has definitely hooked me in and I'm very intrigued to read the story. To be honest, it's been a long while since I've last picked up a YA book, but I think this one might be what I pick up to read soon. Really love the cover as well, it fits the book so well and it's gorgeous! :)

    chibipooh(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Winnie! The cover artist is Shane Rebenschied...more of his lovely work is here: http://blot.com/post/20865515379/the-hallowed-ones

      Delete
  7. Woot! Nanie you win! Congrats! I'm travelling but will the the book to you by next week :)

    ReplyDelete