Life Lesson: Stop and Admire the Turtles


School's out for the summer and the kids are home, which means my writing schedule is almost non-existent. Well, my preferred hours, the routine I'm used to, changed and that has my insides all twisted in knots. Not good.

So today I came up with a brilliant plan. I decided to take the kids to the City Pool at 9 a.m. in the morning. We'd beat the crowds and Texas heat, the kids would be ecstatic and I could hunker down at a poolside table and get some writing done. Not ideal conditions, but workable. NOT.

Got there and found out the pool didn't open until noon. Since it was a nice morning, we decided to take a walk by the river and park located nearby instead. We stopped and smelled the rosemary, admired the blooming waterlilies, watched a blue heron fly.  (Okay, MOM also got to admire a young man and his dog...both were cute!)

However, my favorite moment was catching sight of this group of turtles sunning themselves. The moment, and now this picture, made me smile. They look like they could be in an important turtle meeting. But I prefer to think they are just hanging out and taking a moment to chill out.

So that's what I did for the rest of the morning. Just hung out with my babies and enjoyed nature. Sometimes life gives you not what you want, but what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment